ANC upbeat as Tlokwe by-election postponed

iol news pic Tlokwe North West INDEPENDENT MEDIA Tlokwe municipality in Potchefstroom, North West. Picture: Boxer Ngwenya/Independent Media

Rustenburg – The Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC) on Tuesday night said it had noted the orders of the Electoral Court that by-elections scheduled to take place in the Tlokwe municipality in North West be postponed.

Municipal by-elections were due to take place in wards 1, 4, 11, 12, 18 and 20 on Wednesday.

“In line with these orders, voting stations in these wards will not open tomorrow [Wednesday] and the Electoral Commission advises all affected voters not to visit these voting stations,” the Electoral Commission said in a statement.

“The Electoral Commission is currently considering the wider implications of the judgment and taking advice on the matter and will communicate any further decisions to all stakeholders as soon as possible.”

Independent candidates had approached the Electoral Court asking the court to help interpret a Constitutional Court ruling setting aside previous by-elections results.

The Constitutional Court in November last year, set aside the results of by-elections held in 2013 and ordered a re-run.

The Constitutional Court set aside the by-election held on September 12, 2013 in ward 18 and by-elections held on December 10, 2013 in wards 1,4, 11, 12, 13, and 20.

Independent candidates complained that about 1,000 names appearing on the voters role still did not have accompanying addresses.

The African National Congress (ANC) in North West said it had noted the judgment of the Electoral Court.

“We are going to win these by- elections whether they are held tomorrow [Wednesday] or after six weeks… we are definitely going to win,” said provincial secretary Dakota Legoete

“The ANC will abide by the ruling of the court and we still express faith in the IEC to address all the concerns that have been raised within the stipulated period. Our opponents have simply postponed their defeat and pain by securing this judgement.”

The IEC had on Tuesday morning said it would continue with preparations of the by-elections including special votes on Tuesday until directed otherwise by the Electoral Court.

African News Agency

* Use IOL’s Facebook and Twitter pages to comment on our stories. See links below.

Get our free IOL newsletters - subscribe here...

IOL News on Facebook

IOL on Twitter


sign up