Burundi govt says no to peace talks

iolafr burundi-protests-politics AFP An activist wearing a headband reading "Nkurunziza must fall" protests in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi against recent killings in neighbouring Burundi by government forces. Picture: AFP/ Tony Karumba

Nairobi - Burundi's government will not take part in peace talks with the opposition scheduled for Wednesday, a senior official said, casting fresh doubt on efforts to end months of violence.

The talks in neighbouring Tanzania were announced last month as part of regional efforts to resolve a crisis triggered by President Pierre Nkurunziza's decision to run for a third term in office - a move opponents said broke the constitution.

“No dialogue on Wednesday neither on January 16 as many may think, because there has been no consensus on that date,” Joseph Bangurambona, the permanent secretary in Burundi's foreign affairs ministry, told Reuters on Tuesday.


sign up